August 21, 2012 at 11:26 pm #16427
although I’m not nearly as good at customizing WordPress or themes, I’d just like to say that Swift is one of the best themes I’ve come across. I can usually do some modifications to CSS or code but most of the time I don’t really know what I’m doing, so having so many backend options in the theme settings is really amazing. Changing the color scheme of the site is easier than in any other theme, and far more detailed, and the layout options are great. The built in integration with several popular plugins (Wordpres SEO, YARPP) is an excellent idea as well.
I didn’t touch my site for years and finding your theme and switching to WordPress made it really easy for me to publish new content now, organize existing content better and provide users with a better experience. There’s still a lot of stuff I plan to change on the site, but with your theme I’m sure it’ll be pretty easy.
Anyway, I do have some suggestions you might want to consider in future theme updates. I did some of the changes myself (and many others) but I think your new users might appreciate you making their life easier. It’s just a list of suggestions, not requests, so I hope you don’t mind.
1. Option to remove post dates on archives/list.php – I prefer to hide all post dates from Google so they don’t show up in search results. For some content such as mine it’s really not relevant when the posts were written. Took me awhile to change it on all templates.
2. Add option for a fixed background image. Right now it scrolls down with content, so it’d have to be an insane resolution not to repeat itself. I know it’s a fairly easy fix in CSS, but having an option in backend would probably be a good idea.
3. Ability to link the entire header background image to site’s homepage, not just the logo. I’d rather just upload one image rather than a separate background and logo.
4. Would be great if we could set a number of available footer widgets, and set the width accordingly (fluid). For example if I want to add 3 widgets instead of 4, the width of each one would remain static and the rest would be blank space.
5. Backend option to show the search form in the navigation menu above logo rather than below.
1. Author about section on archives not showing the correct number of published posts. You can see it here: http://katanaswords.info/author/admin/. It could be just my site, not sure.
2. Problem with Amazon Search widget, CSS conflict. See it here: http://katanaswords.info/shopping/full-tang-katana/ (“GO” button)
3. Popular posts widget won’t show more than 1 post on my site. I did set the right number when adding the widget, and posts do have views.
4. When adding widgets, “Narrow sidebar, LEFT” is actually the right sidebar on live site, and “Narrow sidebar, RIGHT” is actually the left one. Could be only on a specific layout, didn’t test it.
5. *fixed, my bad
I would love to hear your thoughts about some of these suggestions and issues, or even your own suggestions for my site. Overall I love your theme and hope to see more of your great work.August 28, 2012 at 5:46 pm #22047
Congratulations for having such a beautiful site 🙂
1,2. Just fixed them. Will release the update tomorrow.
3. You should set the duration for popular posts.
4. It’s just the names, if you know they are interchanged. it should be fine.
Will consider your suggestion for the next major update of Swift. Thank your for your feedback 🙂
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.