I’ve been running my site with pretty permalinks with no issues for some time and have just realised that over the last couple of days everything has started redirecting to the homepage. I can’t figure out what on earth has caused the problem but this is what I have already tried in an attempt to fix it:
1. Reset permalinks in settings – going to basic structure fixes the categories but changing back breaks it again.
2. Updated WordPress from 4.6 to 4.7 and tried again – no effect
3. Switched off caching – no effect
4. Deactivated all plugins – no effect
5. Deleted .htaccess and used autogenerated version, then repeated the above – no effect
6. Changed to default theme – Pretty links work but obviously site is ugly and generally unusable. I want my Swift Theme back!
I don’t know where to go next and don’t want to leave my site on the standard structure as I’ve been working really hard on my SEO and am seeing results. It appears to be a theme issue, but I’ve no idea what would have caused it when it was working fine a few days ago.