September 26, 2016 at 3:21 am #34590
I set up my posts to appear on the home page with the title, an excerpt, and “Continue Reading”.
(1) Is there a way for me to change the number of characters to appear in EACH excerpt? For example, I may want 15 words to appear as the excerpt from one article, and 40 words for the next article. Occasionally, I may wish to write something different for the “excerpt” instead of automatically including the first one or two sentences of the article.
(2) When I write a post, I start with my name and the date. I then press “enter” in order to leave a space and then start writing the first paragraph. This is what readers see when they press “Continue Reading”. However, this all gets jammed together in the excerpt, where there is no space between name/date and the first paragraph. I do not like the look of this.
It is not important to have my name and date appear in the excerpt, as long as it appears in the full article when the reader presses “Continue Reading”. But the only way I know how to remove the name/date from the excerpt is to remove it from the full article, which is not an option. If I can specifically choose what I want to include in the excerpt – custom excerpt – as explained in question (1) above, this problem would be solved.
I experimented with Swift Options > Single Post Options to insert the date and author’s name underneath the post title, but I do not like the way this is displayed. I want the name/date text to blend in with the font of the body of the article.
September 26, 2016 at 5:04 am #34592
- This topic was modified 9 months ago by Lee Friday.
1. There is, but thats not the right option for you.
2. Don’t write name and date, WordPress will add it for you.
Below the post edit box, there is a separate box to write the excerpts manually. Use that.
Change the post meta font to same as body in swift design options ->font options.September 26, 2016 at 6:56 am #34593
Thank you for alerting me to the excerpt box. It was hidden. I found it, activated it, tested it with a post, and it solved both problems for me.
Satish, you said “Don’t write name and date, WordPress will add it for you.” But this does not happen automatically unless I activate it through Swift Options > Single Post Options. Is that correct?September 26, 2016 at 9:18 am #34594
Yes.September 26, 2016 at 4:30 pm #34595
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.